Friday, July 20, 2012

Dutch Sailboat, Friday Finishes, and a Winner

I've been a little worried about this sailboat block today.  There are a lot of pieces for an 8-inch block, and I had to cut one differently than listed on the measurements.


It is a cute block when finished, but I wouldn't make a whole quilt with nothing but this block.  This is block number 202 of 366.


The first finish today is the five year scarf.  Blocking it was worth it.  The edges are straight and even, the stitches look better, and it is ready to wear when those soccer games start in a few weeks and run into the cool evenings/Saturdays of October.


The You Are My Sunshine stitching is now a pillow.  I used the flange technique I learned in Darlene Zimmerman's class a couple of weeks ago.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I realized that I do not have to be afraid of some of these techniques.  Course it always helps to take a class or see a video to know exactly how to do them.


Last but not least is the miniature tumbler quilt.  I worked on quilting this until 2:30 this morning and then got up bright and early to finish it.  I figured out that if I counted the stitches from the top of the tumbler and then across it worked better than trying to eyeball it.  I used my walking foot and outlined each piece in the ditch.  It got the sign of approval from my son who informed me that he would like a bed sized quilt made of these blocks.  As this quilt is 15-1/2 by 15-3/4 inches, I think I had better get to work on his sooner than later. :)  

And now for the winner of the McCall's Quilting Magazine subscription.  I wish this was available to everyone, but not to worry, there will be more giveaways and soon.  The winner was Carly.  Congratulations Carly, I've sent you an email.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

3 comments:

ThreadCatcher said...

This is a fun looking project! Did you cut the tumblers with a template or a cutting die or something else? It turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Katherine said...

I might not always comment but I love coming on here and seeing your daily blocks etc. I quite like that mini tumbler you have made too.

Wendy said...

Lots of lovely projects Kristen, you have been busy! Cute little sailboat and the scarf and tumbler quilt are gorgeous. Clever you!