Monday, August 1, 2011

Design Wall Monday

My design wall (floor, desk) has been full for quite a while.  I realized the other day that I have been working on some BOMs for some time and haven't actually seen all the blocks together.  Today I thought it might be fun to see what I have as far as "almost finished" quilts.


This is the Birdie Stitches BOM.  When I went there now, there was a new block posted.  I really do enjoy these embroideries.  As you can see, I am three behind now.


Next is Cobblestone Lane by This and That.  There are two blocks to sew together and the quilt will be finished.  I really think I'm going to like this when it is complete.


These next two quilts are from a Thangles Buck a Block BOM that I participated in last year.  I liked both colorways and at a buck a month it was certainly affordable.  Now that I look at the blocks on the floor I'm questioning one of them...I bet you can guess which one it is. It is the bottom one in the top picture. They are both put together the same way so either it was a late night or the pattern said to do it that way.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to tear some threads. 
I have three blocks to finish for both of them.


Last but not least is my Fat Quarter Shop Designer Mystery BOM.  I like this one best of all.  The colors are happy and the blocks are fun.  As each month is a surprise, hopefully they won't disappoint.  I 'm not worried. :)



As I look back through these I notice that I did see a finished quilt for all of them except for the last before I started.  The Thangles BOMs did not have a color picture of the block each month, they were in black and white.  The This and That patterns all had a color picture and were printed like a regular pattern you purchase.  The FQS is a colored computer print out.  Birdie Stitches is a drawing you print out each month and you pick the fabrics.  Each are different in their own way, and I honestly have enjoyed working on them all.  Do you enjoy BOMs or are you a start it and finish it type person?  Do you like to chose your own fabrics, or would you rather not bother with that and use what is chosen for you?

It was fun to lay out the blocks and see what I have.  I am also dreaming about how to quilt each one and actually getting to use these when they are finished.  I usually like to chose my own fabrics, but my life has been very hectic, and I wanted to just work on my piecing skills.  With most of the BOM kits all I had to do was cut and sew which turned out to be very relaxing, and each month I had finished something.


I'm linking today with Patchwork Times and BOMs Away.  Thanks for stopping by and Happy Stitching!  --Kristen

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Wow - you're a BOM queen, too! ;D I like having BOMs because they provide a good break from more intense projects. Since I make a LOT of big quilts, this is a welcome respite. They're also perfect for hand-work pieces to keep in your bag for times you find yourself waiting places.

These are some neat projects. I'm jealous of Birdie. Let's say I'm 8 months behind now - lol. I've never seen Cobblestone Lane. It's very pretty! And so close to being complete. A buck a block??? No way! That *is* too cool to pass up. Designer Mystery is another one I really enjoy watching folks doing. Thanks for linking at BOMs Away, and especially for putting the button on your sidebar. :)

Wendy said...

Your quilts are looking amazing and they are all getting close to being finished. You do wonderfully well keeping up with them all. I agree with you, the last one is lovely, such pretty colours.

Roseanne said...

Boy you have a lot on the go. I think they are all lovely.